This 5-part workshop series is geared toward providing a foundation for understanding the psychopharmacology and clinical research of the most commonly encountered psychedelic compounds as well as practical information for safe psychedelic use. The series is designed to build upon knowledge gained in previous installments so is recommended to attend them all for an optimal learning experience; however each module stands as a class on its own.
Seating is limited, pre-purchase is highly recommended.
June 24, 2019
July 25, 2019
August 29, 2019
September 26, 2019
October 24, 2019
Doors Open: 6:30pm
Event Begins: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
5481 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90029
Lecture III. August 29: Psychedelics & Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors: DMT & 5-MeO-DMT
Monoamine Oxidase (MAO) is an important metabolic enzyme involved in the metabolism of several neurotransmitters and tryptamine psychedelics such as DMT and 5-MeO-DMT. While inhibition of this enzyme is critical to making DMT orally active as part of the mechanism of ayahuasca, it can be unsafe and even lethal to combine other drugs or psychedelics with MAO inhibitors (MAOIs). The third installment of the series will focus on the combination of monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) with psychedelics as well as other drugs.
IV. September 26: Psychedelics Beyond Serotonin: Ibogaine & Ketamine
While most psychedelics produce their effects by modulating serotonin, there are exceptions of worthy mention including ibogaine and ketamine. While vastly different in their effects, both ibogaine and ketamine appear to modulate either glutamate or opioid systems. Ibogaine is often touted for its powerful anti-addictive properties, although it carries risks of cardiotoxicity. Ketamine has built a strong evidence base in the treatment of depression, amongst other refractory conditions. The fourth installment will take a closer look at each of these ‘novel’ psychedelics.
V. October 24: Psychedelics & Psychotropics: Mechanisms of Drug Interaction
The fifth and last installment in this series will focus exclusively on the potential for drug interactions between psychedelics discussed in installments I–IV and other medications or supplements people may be using. While the aim is to cover a broad range of possible interactions, a focus will be placed on interactions with traditional psychotropics including antidepressants, benzodiazepines, stimulants, and antipsychotics. It is recommended to attend installments I–IV to allow for optimal understanding of materials covered in this installment.
Dr. Benjamin Malcolm teaches psychopharmacology at Western University of Health Sciences, practices as a clinical psychiatric specialist, and performs research on psychoactive drugs including psychedelics. His educational background consists of a bachelor’s degree in pharmacology, a doctorate of pharmacy, a master’s degree in public health and specialized post-doctoral training in psychiatry. He’s a lover of nature, exercise, music and consciousness as well as being a husband and father. He’s passionate about psychedelic drugs and envisions a society in which they are available in safe and supported settings for psychospiritual well-being, personal growth, ceremonial sacrament, and treatment of mental illness. Additionally, he runs a psychopharmacology consulting service on his website, www.spiritpharmacist.com, to help those in need for an informational risk evaluation of psychedelic use.
PRICING - ALL TICKETS MUST BE PRE-PURCHASED ONLINE VIA EVENTBRITE:
- Individual lecture ticket: $39 (Admission to individual lectures) - PLEASE NOTE THAT EACH SESSION IS A STAND ALONE LECTURE. WHEN BUYING A SINGLE TICKET, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO PSYCHEDELIAINTEGRATION@GMAIL.COM WITH YOUR NAME, CONTACT INFO, AND THE ONE DATE YOU WILL BE ATTENDING.
- Whole series pass: $149 (Includes admission to the entire series with priority seating, as well as PDF handouts of all lecture materials)
- Whole series + presenter consultation: $209 (Includes admission to the entire series with priority seating, as well as PDF handouts of all lecture materials and 30-minute psychopharmacology consultation with presenter. Consultation scheduled at a time of your convenience.)
- Student ticket: $25 per session (must present valid student ID at door)
PsychedeLiA: Psychedelic Integration, Los Angeles is a collective of professionals and peers interested in the potential psychological and spiritual healing properties of psychedelics. PsychedeLiA events are intended for the purpose of educating about mindful & safe integration of entheogenic experiences, offering emotional support, and creating meaningful connections between community members.
PsychedeLiA's Mission Purpose:
We are a collective of professionals and peers interested in the potential psychological and spiritual healing properties of psychedelics.
PsychedeLiA’s program takes a harm reduction approach with these objectives:
- We aim to provide accurate information about mindful and safe preparation, engagement and integration of entheogenic experiences.
- We aim to offer educational tools to users of psychedelics and to their support systems.
- We aim to offer emotional support to individuals and groups who are curious about, are planning on exploring or have explored psychedelic states.
- We aim to create meaningful connections between community members.
VERY IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: We do not encourage or condone any illegal activities, the purchase, sale, transfer, or use of any illegal substances, or partaking in any unlawful activities related to illegal substances. Please do not bring, buy, sell, transfer, or arrive on any illegal substances, or swap information on how to acquire them. Thank you for respecting our safe community space.